Voice over Internet Protocol
Jasmin Redžepagić, Instructor
Jerko Šuško, Instructor
Jonathan Davidson, James Peters, Manoj Bhatia, Satish Kalidindi, Sudipto Mukherjee: Voice over IP Fundamentals, 2nd Edition, Cisco Press, 2010
Minimum learning outcomes
- Define basic terms in traditional telephony systems, describe ISDN and issues in telephony in order to migrate to VoIP.
- Define protocols which are used in VoIP telephony, install basic Asterisk+Linux system.
- Configure basic dialplan under Linux, connect phone equipment and make first call.
- Describe advanced Asterisk functionalities in dialplan and PBX programming.
- Describe the principles of call center application, connect Asterisk with analog phone lines, basic scripting language programming.
- List ways of attacking Asterisk infrastructure, build local TSP (telephony service) infrastructure.
Preferred learning outcomes
- Give detailed insight in traditional telephony, list protocols and building blocks of ISDN technology, create a project for migrating from traditional to VoIP technology, demonstrate a completed Asterisk system.
- Describe protocols in VoIP telephony, manually configure Asterisk system on a Linux platform.
- Deep understanding of Asterisk dialplan and SIP configuration, knowledge of SIP hardware phones.
- Write own advanced Asterisk dialplan functions, inter-connect two Asterisk PBX.
- Demonstrate Call center operation, list problems and solutions with connecting analog phone lines, create own programming scripts.
- Secure public Asterisk installation from DoS attacks and unsolicited calls, design a local infrastructure with multiple Asterisk systems and connect it to phone operaters.